Christine Marr was at work when she received a phone call with devastating news from a local firefighter.
She didn’t care so much about her home having caught fire, as she was more concerned with the fact that her beloved pets, Smoke, Chloe, and Ringer were inside.
The firefighter explained that her dog Chloe was found inside. However, her cat Smoke didn’t make it out.
“They found her [Chloe] lying in the bathroom because that’s always been her safe zone, so that’s where she ran to during the fire,” Marr told The Dodo.
Firefighters had to use a human oxygen mask to help revive Chloe, but it was a close call.
“She almost didn’t make it,” Marr said. “They said she was pretty much gone until they got to her with the oxygen mask.”
There were no signs of Ringer’s whereabouts and they assumed he too has passed away in the fire. Chloe and Ringer had been the best of friends and though they were shy around humans, the two of them always stuck together.
Marr was devastated over the loss of her cats but knew she had to focus on getting Chloe healthy again. Knowing that our pets are like members of our family, the fire chief purchased canine and feline oxygen masks after hearing Chloe’s story.
When Marr went back to her burned home to feed some of the barn cats that lived on her property, she still hoped that Ringer might turn up.
“For a good month, I went there every day and called for Ringer,” Marr said. “I called and called and called. I just didn’t believe he had perished in the fire.”
Two months had passed since the fire and Marr decided that she would just have to deal with the fact that Ringer was gone. On Mother’s Day, Marr and her husband went to visit their home which was being repaired and they brought Chloe along with them.
Chloe sniffed around which was normal for her, but then peculiarly began licking the floor and scratching at it. She then ran over to a gap in the wall that led underneath the house and shoved her head inside of it.
Marr and her husband tried to pull their dog out but Chloe would just shove her head back in every time.
Marr knew something wasn’t right and went to look inside the hole. That’s when she heard some meowing and figured that one of the barn cats must have wandered inside and got stuck.
After taking Chloe out to the car, Marr returned to find Ringer snuggling up against her husband. Marr was in complete shock and was overjoyed to see Ringer. The poor little guy was skinny and dirty and had been without food or water for almost two months.
They immediately took him to the vet but not before Chloe overflowed with sheer excitement at seeing her friend again.
“She was jumping up and down in the backseat, so excited, trying to jump up front to get to Ringer,” Marr said.
The vet was impressed by Ringer’s epic tale of survival and called him a “miracle.”
Though he still has a little bit of trouble eating and drinking, Ringer is recovering and happy to be home with his family, and Chloe, again.
Just look at how happy Chloe is to be with her buddy!
Chloe and Ringer are now closer than ever.
“Chloe is so happy and doesn’t want to ever leave the room where he is,” Marr said.
We’re so glad to see that these buddies are reunited and that firefighters value animal lives as they would human lives.